Bourne, OregonMining Ghost Town
Bourne, Oregon Ghost Town
According to Howard Brooks, “Mines along the North Pole Columbia Lode near Bourne, six miles north of Sumpter, produced about $8,000,000 in gold and silver during [the time period] 1894-1916.”
To Get There
- Starting from the town of Sumpter, drive west on Highway 410 towards the town of Granite.
- In .5 miles, turn right on Cracker Creek Road.
- Cracker Creek Road turns to dirt in short order.
- Stay on Cracker Creek road for 6 miles, winding gently uphill along Cracker Creek. You’ll know you’ve hit Bourne once you start seeing the cabins and buildings in this article.
- Note: Accessible by snowmobile only in Winter
Preserve the Sumpter Valley Dredge
By donating to Friends of the Dredge, you will ensure that enhanced interpretive and educational experiences will continue to be offered at the dredge, such as guided tours, interpretive displays, renovation and staffing of the interpretive center.
The Friends of the Sumpter Valley Dredge is committed to maintaining the history of the dredge for today, tomorrow, and for future generations to learn and enjoy.
Our Amazing Support
This project has been funded in part by a grant from Travel Oregon and Oregon Cultural Trust.
575 SW Dredge Loop Rd
Sumpter, Oregon 97877